Dienstag, 14. April 2015

Miniatures in Tabletop quality from start to end - part 4: Painting Montero Guaca

Hi there,

welcome to the 4th part of my how to paint miniatures in tabletop quality guide. If you can´t remember check out the first three (basic steps: part 1 and part 2, first miniature: part 3 Eitu). Not every step will be described in detail as some of it is very redundant to the painting process of Eitu. 

Ok, today it is the goblin version of Indiana Jones (Montero Guaca) which we are going to paint. As the first articles were quite detailed we can speed up a bit in the beginning of this one. Main focus will be on the leather parts (which are quite a lot on this miniature) and some detail textures.

First we apply some basic colours starting off with the skin tone which is obviously green for a goblin. I chose a desaturated mid green and used some strong green as a not so thin wash for the first shadows.
 

As you can see I decided to hold the other miniature parts in some browns and beige. Here is a look on the palette for the colour tones I used. 

Apply the paint in thin layers and also use some diluted paint (a darker tone of the base colour, add some black to it) to apply some washes for the shadows. 
 
I added some beige (e.g. bleached bone from GW) to the base tone to lighten it up. This mixture was used for the first highlights. Remember to not dilute the paint too much if painting highlight colours as you get a quicker result with light colours if they are thicker (and this is what we want; a quick result). If the transition is to blurry you can use your base colour to mend it. I also did this with the skin, in the picture you can see the highlighted knuckles.


The next part was the jacket which is one of the main parts on the miniature. I decided to go for a yellow-brown base coat (e.g. snakebite leather, GW) which I applied onto the miniature in 3-4 thin layers. Did the same for the hat with a beige-brown.




In the next steps I try to achieve a used-leather look on the jacket  and hat by using a technique called stippling. One uses a brush to paint small dots and stains with a lighter colour than the basecolour (don´t dilute your colours in this step). On this lighter dots one paints even smaller dots and stains more directed to the highest spots with a second highlight colour. Afterwards you can use washes and glazes to get a smooth transistion.

You can apply the dots in a very controlled way one after another if you want to. But if you are looking for a faster way to do then do it in a random style like I did on this miniature.
For the first dots I mixed some yellow into the brown, loaded the mixture onto an old brush, wiped most of the paint into a tissue and dotted it into the upper part of the jacket. Afterwards I did the same with pure bleached bone but applied it on a smaller area more to the upper part.


Afterwards I took some washs (red, blue, soft tone and strong tone, Army Painter) and applied them on the jacket to get some smooth transitions. At this stage I also applied them to the trousers, shirt and hat.



As you can see in the meanwhile I also painted the base and the whip. Therefore I took various brown tones and applied them to the wooden boards and all the stuff that is lying around (more yellow tones to the wood parts and beige to the stuff)  and the whip and attended everything with various rounds of army painter washs.
The belt and the shoes I painted in black and highlighted it by adding small parts of bleached bone. Shading was done with diluted pure black.

And this is what it looks like at the current stage.


What is missing? Hmm… First of all the metal parts. There are just a few. The muzzle and the buckles (belt and shoes). I applied a metal tone (chainmail, GW) and shaded this with pure black. For the buckles I used gold and shaded it with some dark brown. Highlights are done with mithril silver.
But still it looks a bit boring. 

Especially the skin lacks some contrast and colour hues. Therefore I decided to apply some reds and purples. Just some thin washes of heavily diluted paint. Do it careful! In the end it is worth the effort!



Unfortunatelly I  don´t have better pictures of this little fellow. I was on vacation when I painted him and I lacked my usual photo background and as the miniature was a gift for a friend I don´t own it anymore. Maybe someday I get the chance to make descent pictures of it.

Stay tuned for the next part,
Scar


Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen